Newark City Schools
Community School Sponsor
Newark City Schools Sponsorship Strategic Plan
We believe that:
Mission Statement: To sponsor local community schools and support them as they work to provide a high quality education to students with diverse needs.
Vision Statement: To accomplish the mission Newark City Schools will respect, as feasible, community school autonomy and provide support and oversight as needed.
- To achieve all of the Ohio compliance requirements in regard to sponsor responsibilities by the end of the 2017-2018 school year.
- To increase the points achieved on the Quality portion of the sponsor evaluation by 40 points by the end of the 2017-2018 school year.
- To assist community schools in creating a plan to improve their Academic success for the 2017-2018 school year.
- To achieve an overall rating of Effective on the ODE sponsor evaluation by the end of the 2017-2018 school year.
- During the 2017-2018 school year we will partner with the local community schools we sponsor to provide support and oversight as needed to facilitate a high quality education to students.
- By using collaborative techniques we will work to develop a relationship with the community school staff that facilitates an open dialog regarding:
b. fiscal performance,
c. organization and operation, and
d. academic performance
- We will meet a minimum of once a month with the community schools that we sponsor during the time the school is in session to help support them as they work to meet the needs of their students and staff.
- We will provide monthly feedback during the time the school is in session regarding financial issues, enrollment, compliance, and any other topics of need and/or interest.
- During the 2017-2018 school year we will strive to exceed Ohio requirements in regard to sponsor responsibilities and quality.
- As required by the ODE sponsorship evaluation and excellent sponsorship qualities, we will develop and improve:
a. sponsorship commitment and capacity,
b. an application process with decision-making parameters,
c. a contract that includes ORC requirements,
d. oversight transparency, and
e. a termination and renewal process.
- We will use the Ohio Department of Education Quality Improvement Process to systematically improve our Sponsorship Quality Practices, and support for improved Compliance and Community School Academic Performance.
- We will use the national standards for charter schools to evaluate our success and need for improvement by conducting a self-survey at the beginning and end of the school year. The results of the survey will help to shape the following year’s sponsorship goals.
- During the 2017-2018 school year we will provide support to the community schools as they create a plan to improve their Academic success for the 2017-2018 school year.
- If the school’s current report card indicates a need, we will conduct a minimum of one site visit focused on the school’s state report card and how they are implementing a plan for improvement.
- If the school’s current report card indicates a need, we will conduct a minimum of one site visit focused on how the school supports student academics or social/emotional well-being outside of the regular school day.
- If the school’s report card indicates excellence then we will focus site visits on current school practices or concerns.
- During the 2017-2018 school year we will promote, as feasible, the autonomy of the Newark City School sponsored community schools.
- We will work to include the community schools in determining professional development that will promote improvement in academics and increased autonomy. This will be achieved through a survey administered to the staff regarding what types of professional development is needed. Follow-up professional development based on the results will occur during our two-day professional development institute in June, 2018.
- We will assist the community schools as they work to comply with all applicable Ohio Department of Education and Ohio Revised Code regulations and requirements. This will be achieved through monthly visits to the building to support school compliance.
- We will work to provide technical assistance for school needs. This will be achieved through providing a survey to administrative staff and, after the survey results are tabulated, providing necessary resources based upon their survey responses.