Homeless Dispute Resolution
Any disputes regarding the enrollment or assignment of a homeless student will be referred to the Liaison for expeditious resolution.
1. When a dispute arises over school selection or enrollment, the child or youth shall be immediately admitted to the school in which enrollment is sought, pending resolution of the dispute, and shall be provided with all services for which they are eligible while the dispute is being resolved. Parents, guardians, and unaccompanied youth should be informed that they can provide written or oral documentation to support their views.
2. Written documentation initiated at the building level or by the Liaison should be complete, as brief as possible, simply stated, and provided in a language the parent, guardian, or unaccompanied youth can understand.
3. The Liaison should attempt to resolve disputes within five (5) school days.
4. Any dispute which cannot be resolved by the Liaison should be reported to the State Coordinator for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth at the Ohio Department of Education.
5. According to State guidelines, the State Coordinator has an additional five (5) school days from the time of notification to bring about resolution. Individuals not satisfied with the State Coordinator’s proposed resolution can appeal such decision to the State superintendent of Public Instruction with five (5) school days for final resolution of the dispute.