The Newark Schools has a budget of $64.5 million.
The district's money comes from the following resources:
- Local - 41.4 percent
- State and Federal - 56 percent
- Miscellaneous - 1.4 percent
- Tuition - 1 percent
- Investment Income - .2 percent
The district's expenses include the following:
- Instruction - 65.2 percent
- Plant Operation - 10 percent
- Transportation - 4.6 percent
- Administration/Fiscal - 8.1 percent
- Pupil Support - 5.9 Percent
- Instructional Support - 2.9 percent
- Miscellaneous: 3.3 percent
Responsibilities of the Treasurer
- Serves as the custodian for all district funds
- Records all receipts and pays all district financial obligations
- Pay salaries and maintains tax records for over 800 district employees
- Certifies all financial records requested by the Ohio Department of Education
- Collaborates with the Superintendent to prepare the district budget.
- Invests all district funds to maximize returns and maintain high bond rating
- Continues to receive an unqualified opinion from the State Auditors Office
Jeff Anderson was appointed by the school board as the district treasurer in 2009. Prior to joining Newark City Schools, he was the treasurer in the Hillsboro Schools for four years. He holds a bachelor of science degree from Franklin University and a master's degree from the University of Dayton. He is licensed as a school treasurer in the State of Ohio.